market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: seed starting and gen'l farming philosophy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Barb Berst" <berstperkins AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: seed starting and gen'l farming philosophy
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:47:53 -0800

Dear Paul and Alison and others

I'm new to this forum so just started receiving the e-mails.

Paul and Alison said it so perfectly about books.... and I'm one of those writers who's writing one of those books!

I'm in the process of creating, "Micro Eco-Farming: Prospering in Partnership with the Earth"  to be published this fall by New World Publishing and the whole idea of it is to be an exchange of ideas rather than a 'how-to.' I once owned a market garden when I was with my husband, and I learned that there is no one formula to follow.

This book is a showcase of how innovative, ingenious, courageous, and fun farmers and their farms are and the potential of farming when their independence is supported and they network with the world. And how, if we farmers keep being inventive and not getting stuck with a specific formula, the farming industry keeps growing.

Would anyone on this forum (if you fit the criteria below) like to be quoted in a book that's trying to celebrate the farmer taking his and her power back?

I'm interviewing (via e-mail only except those in my own neighorhood) farmers who farm for income part time or full time, use ecological methods (organic certification is great but not necessary, for example, if the farm is working towards it or finds the fees too steep), and are operating purposely on a fraction of an acre up to 15. In other words, they are not, say, starting at 10 acres hoping to eventually own 100.

All of our farmers, whether they farm a back porch or 1000s of acres are wonderful. I'm just highlighting the 'micro' sized segment of us for this particular book.

Paul and Alison and others, if you fit that criteria, I'd love to exchange a few e-mails with you.

Thanks.

Barbara Berst
Island Meadow Farm
Washington State