market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Richard & Faye" <rifa AT advertisnet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Mushrooms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:02:29 -0600

The biggest issue with the mushrooms is that they need several days of total
darkness and a regulated temperature and humidity between 70 and 95 %.

Earnings per square foot of space. With the oyster in a 2400 sq. ft.
structure, this is not a greenhouse, with 800 bags per turn and 2 turns per
year. I can harvest at the low end 48000# of mushrooms and at the max around
80000#. Now keep in mind that these are 6 foot long bags and they would not
fit under a Bench. For figuring income per sq. ft. I will use dried
mushrooms. We sell most of our mushrooms at $30. # dried, takes
approximately 10# fresh for # dry. so 48000 divided by 10 equals 4800#
times 30 equals 144,000. Divide that by 2400 sq. ft. and it works out to
approximately $60 per. Of course this is before expenses and selling dried
mushrooms in bulk. I have sold many oz. at Farmers Markets and Flea Markets
for $3-4 Oz or $48-64 a #. Or fresh sells for 5-6 a #. This is only
oyster the shiitake are a completely different ballgame.

There are many things that are unique to mushrooms and I am not sure that
they can be grown in a greenhouse environment with other produce, but it may
well be worth a try on a small scale. Mini bags of 5-10 pounds of straw
should produce 5-10 pounds of fresh mushrooms.

As I stated earlier I will have a limited amount of spawn available in
mid-January, however I do not now or intend in the future to make my income
from producing spawn.

Richard