market-farming - Re: Fencing the market garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fencing the market garden
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:17:29 -0500

Yes, I don't remember which of the two they recommend for goats I use. It works though. Even though you would think a goat would jump it, they are quickly educated -unlike the deer.

And I would also like to put a plug in for their chicken netting. We have a real predator problem. But since using the chicken netting I haven't lost a one, and the chickens that once would fly over every fence, don't (though that took several months of contact with the electric fence before they came to the conclusion that it was better not to risk flying into it).

I am using the premier netting for my chickens. First night I put it up SOMETHING knocked down big sections of it. After that night, never another problem, except, strangely one night when I was out of town and 'someone' forgot to turn on the netting. Where I am now (a 2nd location), a similar thing happened the first night. The fence clearly doens't get 'tested' nightly, however, since it has been off many times with no invasions.

Unfortunately, my Rhode Island reds routinely hop the netting (although they will not eat near it!), much to the delight of the ever present foxes (both grey and red).

By the way, I talked to Premier at ACRES. It's 'ok' to patch the broken white wires with good 9 strand twine (ok, you probably already knew that but I always need permissin from the factory) (just tie it in there) and if those round plastic connectors break, you can use 'stick epoxy' to make a pellet to hold the lines in the right places. I was releived to realize that I didn't really need a 'kit' in order tokeep my netting 'hot'