market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: December 20, 2001

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "velta Mack" <velta AT viclink.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: December 20, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:17:23 -0800

> I'm looking to fence a 4 acre market garden for this coming season.
> The purpose of the fence is to keep out cows, sheep, goats, dogs,
> humans, rabbits ground hogs and foxes.
> I'm very attracted by 'horse fence,' which is a woven fencing with
> 1x4 openings.

See if you can find deer fencing, also called orchard or deer and rabbit
fencing. It is similar to regular field fencing in that the spaces are
graduated, but the rows of wire are very close together at the bottom. It
is cheaper than the horse fence - not as cheap as fiend fencing - and is
easier to stretch. I put up all three kinds this year and I used the deer
fencing where it was going to be too hard to stretch the horse fence
(because it is heavier gauge, it is harder to stretch).

Velta Mack - Sialia Llamas - Sheridan, OR - velta AT viclink.com

  • Re: market-farming digest: December 20, 2001, velta Mack, 12/21/2001