market-farming - Re: Fencing the market garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ron Malor <rmalor AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fencing the market garden
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:42:22 +1100

At 13:35 20/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking to fence a 4 acre market garden for this coming season. The purpose of the fence is to keep out cows, sheep, goats, dogs, humans, rabbits ground hogs and foxes. (It's amazing how destructive foxes can be in a raised bed garden!) I'll worry about the deer later.

Economics is important here, as is ease of installation.

<snip>

Have you considered electric fencing? A lot cheaper (except for the initial outlay on the energiser), than conventional fencing, dead easy for one person to erect, fast to erect, and nearly all of the components (wire, insulators etc) are reusable. It can be configured to deal with nearly any type of beast. Also can be used to prolong the life of physical barrier fences which are passed their "use by" date. I use it extensively to keep cattle and lambs in paddocks and hares, wallabies and wombats out of the garden area.

Regards,
Ron...

Your suggestions will be appreciated

Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA

---
You are currently subscribed to  as: rmalor AT bigpond.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Ron Malor

PO Box 165
Mole Creek
Tasmania, 7304