market-farming - Re: planting strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: planting strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:34:08 -0500

Hi Jacqueline,

It is pushing it to plant strawberries now, but I have done it before. If it doesn't rain, we water them deeply once a week. We have a big water tank spray boom thing that goes behind the tractor. We take it to the pond and pump it full of water, then go along and spray the plants. Wish I had drip irrigation.

It is better to plant early spring, but our ground always seems to be so wet then. Fall plantings just haven't worked well for us. They have taken 1 1/2 years to do anything and are more susceptible to winter kill and deer damage so just might as well wait and plant in the spring - or summer, this year!

It gets really hot here - and humid. 90-100 and sometimes hotter.

We have 25 goslings ready to be turned into the strawberry patch. They won't eat the strawberry plants. I hope this works so I don't have to weed the plants so much.

Marie in Missouri