market-farming - Re: planting strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: planting strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:44:08 -0700

From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
It is pushing it to plant strawberries now, but I have done it before.

When you say pushing it, what do you mean? What can happen? My field is fully irrigated on a computerized system so fortunately I shouldn't have a water problem, would 2" for the 1st 2 weeks do it then go down to 1"? Also around end of July to early August we get an "ol faithful" heat spell of 40C - 46C (if my memory serves me right that is about 105 - 115F) would it be safe? The earliest I could plant would be mid July, swarmed with other garden duties!

We have one strawberry grower here who plants every spring takes the crop the following year then turns it under to get rid of the weeds. Just keeps the rotation going. She does this because the plastic she had in encouraged a growth of mice and found she had too much loss of young plants every year. Soooo much work! Jacqueline