market-farming - advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jennifer-Claire Klotz" <jcvk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: advertising
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:37:00

Feelin' Amy's pain  :)  Here's my two cents...

Last year we worked with a market and did a short survey of customers - asking them, among other things, how they heard about the market.  (And trust me, this market was struggling!)  We were surprised.  All the leafleting in the neighborhood and at public transportation sites, despite the thousands that were handed out with a coupon for FREE produce, was not the key.  Neither was local television doing a spot.  The local WIC office, the church sponsoring the market getting the word out and banners were the leaders.  This surprised us.  The banners were put up for the duration of the season - plastic tarp type signs with the name of the market, time, dates and location.  They were attached (with permission) to chain link fences on major roads near the market.  They didn't come cheap - but in comparison to the time, funds and labor that went into leafleting houses, cars and anything that didn't move - it was the best use of resources.

I am not necessarily suggesting the banner idea but I would suggest a little survey.  Hire a high school kid for the day to do it?  (That might be the cheapest form of labor.)  You might be surprised what you find out.  :)    I would then focus on what works!

Best regards,

Claire