market-farming - advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeffery Blake" <echoecho AT bedford.heartland.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: advertising
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:15:19 -0500

There has been quite a lot of discussion on advertising lately. I don't
know yet how effective advertising is on drawing people to a farmers market.
I do know that one of the biggest wastes of money any direct marketer can do
is advertising. I made the mistake of advertising when I first started. I
have since heard from many other marketers that they seldom have any
response to advertisments. Word of mouth is the best advertisment.

I would save my money. Fun and cheap advertisments--something like magnents
and sunflower seeds will do far more to bring customers in than any
commercial or media ad will ever do. I think most experienced direct
marketers I've ever talked to would agree.

A logo is far more important as a means of customers identifiying your farm
the next time they come around. The makeup of the logo is probably more
important to the farmer than the consumer.

just my observations.