market-farming - Re: Looking like a farmer.......

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Looking like a farmer.......
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 05:58:15 -0500

I think that the seller is just as much a part of the display as the
vegetables.

It also helps to have a look that is distinguishable from other vendors. At
my market, that became important since we do not have reserved spaces.

I think I went the other way last year. My stand was sort of like a
boutique. The table had a vegetable tablecloth, the matching baskets in
were flat, thick woven willow, the herbs were displayed in clear plastic
containers, and I always wore the same green shirt and khaki shorts (weather
permitting). Oh, and I always wear a pair of silver-gray mirrored Ray Ban
sunglasses...can't help it...they're my favorites. It probably looked like
a yuppie-run stand but I was trying to appeal to customers who wanted herbs,
unusual items and organically grown produce. I got lots of comments on the
display last year.

I ended up taking this general approach because (as a very small grower) I
cannot compete on scale...so I try not to compete with other vendors at all.
There are very few items on my stand that can be purchased at any other
stand. For example, I don't sell sweet corn but I do sell lettuces. (It
amazes me that no one else does).

Anyway, that's my two cents worth and "hello" to this forum. Thanks for the
invitation to join.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, Illinois