livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Elephant Garlic Clovelets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Elephant Garlic Clovelets
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:40:34 -0400

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:20:48 -0500, you wrote:

>I dug some elephant garlic today and found some small cloves. Can I
>plant these now and expect to have large cloves by next June?

I'd wait until fall. We plant garlic in October here
(Pennsylvania).

Evidently the fact that it's *elephant* garlic doesn't make
a difference: the page quoted below says to plant garlic in
fall, then goes on to say:

---------------

Plant and grow elephant garlic like regular garlic. Because
of its size, spacing is different. Put the cloves 8-10
inches apart in rows 18-20 inches from each other. Set them
1-2 inches deep. Sometimes elephant garlic tends to produce
only one large, solid, round, bulb with no segments. If this
occurs, replant and it will produce a bulb the next harvest
with the more typical cloves. Thus, it will take two growing
seasons to get properly segmented bulbs.

http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/09-29-02.htm

Pat
-- Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Growing some of our own food, eating local foods,
cooking basic foods; transforming the planet -
one cucumber at a time, one salad at a time, one
meal at a time.