livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pat on Grey Foxes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pat on Grey Foxes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:22:17 -0400

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:09:42 -0400, you wrote:

>> Here we have: black bears, deer, coyotes, bob cats,
>> possibly lynx, just possibly mountain lions - as well as the
>> usual crew of smaller animals.
>
>I would be willing to bet that you do have some mountain lions, and probably
>lynx also - but not native of course. I live in eastern Ohio, and many
>people have sited cougars in the area on rare occaisions, including my
>husband. A couple of years after my husband saw one in his field, someone I
>grew up knowing shot and killed one when it attacked him. It made the news.
>The cougar had been declawed though.

I'd be willing to bet we do also.

We're in Tioga County, PA and there are terrifically huge
areas of state forest nearby - I think the size of Rhode
Island (truly). This is one of the most lightly populated
areas of Pennsylvania (although there are a few counties
even more lightly populated because they are almost
*entirely* state forest).

A while ago, I emailed a man at the Cougar Network, and he
told me that they had *hundreds* of reports of mountain lion
sightings/hearing them scream, etc. from our county. I've
also seen a photo taken in nearby upstate NY that is very
convincing. It couldn't be anything else; not with that
body shape and that thick long tail.

And there are probably not just feral cougars here either:
the western population of cougars is definitely expanding
its range eastwards.

Cougar Network: http://www.easterncougarnet.org/

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!