livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pat on Grey Foxes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pat on Grey Foxes
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:31:41 -0400

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:02:03 +1000 (EST), you wrote:

>as 'livingontheland' people, isn't our enthusiasm for foxes dampened by
>the fact that they kill chickens?

a. I don't have chickens at present.

b. When I had chickens, I protected them from predators.
The chickens were confined to a house and a generously sized
run which was enclosed in chicken wire - sides and roof
(hawks). 'Chicken tractors' are another way to accomplish
this.

c. As a 'living on the land' person (I hope), I regard the
natural fauna as an important part of the land and seek to
protect it.

At the same time, I will protect my crops, family, and
animals, hopefully via non-violent means. But if a bear was
clearly going to attack me or any of my family (including
the two dogs), I would fire a shotgun into the air - once.
The second shot would be in the bear.

d. Fences are important and - if done correctly - effective
in most cases. A good dog can also be a very effective
protector of crops, livestock, and even people.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!