internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] spam filtering service recommendations?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lance A. Brown" <lance AT bearcircle.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] spam filtering service recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:13:28 -0400

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> Yes, I've tried putting spam assassin on the server, and haven't been
> happy with it, and certainly don't want the hassles of administrating
> it. I'm supposed to be running a company, not messing with spam-
> filter settings!

I know it's not what you asked for, but I've been very pleased useing
SpamAssassin combined with rules_du_jour from the SARE website.
rules_du_jour is script that automatically updates the set of rules
files SA is using based on rulesets kepts on SARE, the SpamAssassin
Rules Emporium ( http://www.rulesemporium.com/ ). Since setting it up,
I've had to manually tweak things less than once/month. It automates
the tail-chasing exercise of keeping up with the spammers as they tune
their messages to avoid the SA rulesets.

I also have SA use Razor and several DNS blocklists to help score
messages. Much less than 1% of the incoming spam gets through and I
almost never have false-positives anymore.

--[Lance]

--
Celebrate The Circle http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
Carolina Spirit Quest http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/