internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: jim AT neuse.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:56:46 -0400

Here's how Duke addressed the matter after the problem started getting out of hand in the Trinity Park neighbourhood.

"[...]Our intention is to assure that residents' parents are also made aware of the criminal charges they face. We firmly believe that most residents have parents that assist them in rent and tuition payments. We believe that the persons paying those bills have a right to be informed. Perhaps they have a greater ability to modify behavior than either the North Carolina courts or Duke University[...]"

If they are violating the noise ordinance then you could file an action in nuisance against the residents, the landlord, and the national organisation.  Then, when you've got their attention, you can work out a modus vivendi.