internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] blog, blogging, blogged
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

from Tanner Lovelace:
from Paula:
Why does no one take LJ seriously?

Because "blogging" and "journaling" are completely different
things.

Unless you step back a few paces, in which case they look about
the same.

As a reader, I take LiveJournals as seriously as any other blog.
Perhaps my understanding of blogs/blogging is malformed, or perhaps
the quote-unquote "Serious Bloggers(tm)" just have the holier-than-thou
stick-up-the-rear that's so typical of any clique when looking at outsiders. But as a reader, I'm looking for interesting stuff to
read. If I'm researching something, I'm probably not looking at too
many blogs; but if I'm just surfing, looking for interesting
observations or opinions on current events, I tend to find those
interesting reads both on personal journals and serious blogs.

So Tanner, I'm curious about your take on this. What is the difference
between blogging and journaling?

--sil

ps. I'm aware that, in some circles, blogging is considered to be the next stage in the evolution of Journalism. (I don't know if this a conscious thought in the community or not; just my perception of the current hype.) I like the grassroots, democratic, anyone-can-do-this nature of blogging. I'm not crazy about the exclusionary attitudes I've seen from some of those quote-unquote "Serious Bloggers(tm)".