internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] local print shop

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Mann <david AT mann.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] local print shop
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:22:27 -0400

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:47:59 -0400
From: "Jim Ray" <jim AT neuse.net>

Does anyone have experience running cardstock through printers for small
runs of, say, 25 at a time? I surely would like to hear pros/cons from
been-there-done-that's. It is a lot of $$$ either way. Despite having a
couple of part timers in the technical domain, I am still basically a one
person operation and don't have $$$ to throw around.

I would say try it with your printer and find out.

Issues I've had are:

Paper Handling: The printer you have may not feed well with thick paper. Some printers have a convoluted paper path which makes printing heavier stock a pain. If you hand feed each one you may be able to give the paper a straighter path through the printer. But sometimes even if the printer is rated for card stock it may still jam often.

Fusing: On a Brother laser printer that I had the toner wouldn't fuse properly on thicker paper. 20lb bond, no problem. Card stock would print fine, but the toner would rub off if you looked at it wrong. I tried many different card stocks with different finishes and had the same result with this particular printer.

I suggest buying a small amount of the paper you want to use and try it to make sure it feeds reliably and fuses properly.

-- Dave