internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ah, garrison Keillor

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bethellison AT netscape.net (Beth)
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org ("Internetworkers: http://www.ibib lio.org/internetworkers/")
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ah, garrison Keillor
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:46:43 -0500

Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com> wrote:

>I would have to agree.  That man's voice drives me out of my mind!
>About 1/2 a second is all it takes for me to turn the radio OFF!  So
>how come he gets two hours to spout banal crud and play bad folk music?

His audience is huge, believe it or not. We got more calls complaining about
pre-empting his show with war coverage last weekend than about any other show.

The Prairie Home Companion demographic is primarily middle-age and older,
white, middle- to upper-class, middle-of-the-road democrat, christians (or so
"studies" show). I can't prove this, but I firmly believe they also have no
taste in music and mediocre senses of humor. Keillor gets good musical guests
often (today's guests are really good), but he can't sing a whit. Yet, he
always seems to get plenty of solos, or duets with people who are really good
and shouldn't have to suffer through such. I really don't get it.

And he always breathes into the microphone really heavily. That's irritating.
I do this shift every Sunday and I usually bring a book, turn down the volume
in the control room, and just watch the meters to make sure the show is still
playing. If I had to work during Car Talk, I'd do the same thing. Those two
yahoos drive me nuts.

Just out of curiosity, what does anyone think about the non-stop war coverage
WUNC launched for a few days last week and their coverage since?

Beth

http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455