internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] can your skills compete?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Smith <anilorac AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] can your skills compete?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:28:21 -0400

Ok, Matusiak endorses the format, but my professional recommendation would be to at least list experience in reverse chronology, and please avoid use of "I".

Reed is AMAZING!  Someone will probably hire the fellow for only a single entry:
" I was a driver at President TRUMAN's funeral in Independence, MO, where I first met President JOHNSON, and SAW President NIXON. Later I was also to meet Presidents REAGAN, CARTER, and just this month President BUSH in Austin, TX. I was just feet away from President NIXON when he resigned (I was goofing off on the front lawn), and I was in the same room the next day, the EAST ROOM, where President FORD took his historical Oath of Office, but one hour later, afterwards. I was all alone with just my wife Gerrie, and daughter Liza Kimpr' REED. But that is pretty close. Closer than most people in all time will ever know. I take charge of my dreams and make them happen as opposed to just being hung up with and on them for a lifetime. Everything that ever happened in this life, all BEGAN with a simple thought.....COMMUNICATIONS. The end is not yet. Let's see what we can get OUT of once we get INTO it. "

Of course, he forgot to mention Kennedy, and I personally did not know before today that Johnson and Nixon were President concurrent to Truman.  WOW, I feel like I learned something!

While employed at HAHT, I once received a serious resume from a candidate who tried to convince us climbing Kilimanjaro, diving the Marianas Trench, helping excavate a lost Inca city, and working to save Alaskan endangered species somehow provided unique qualifications for sales success.  The odd fellow did not have any sales experience, either.  Needless to say we passed on interviewing.  The really sad thing is he called, to try to convince us we should make him a Sales Director.  Got to like gumption?

David R. Matusiak wrote:
Pine.LNX.4.44.0209031053170.8975-100000 AT grace.speakeasy.net">
the required skills being listed in job advertisements these days are
staggering. it seems as if they want someone with expertise in every field and a
decade of experience doing it.

this can be very hard on the job seeker. often, they will have to make
themselves look as good "on paper" as possible. it takes a good deal of finesse
and creative writing to make a decent case for yourself.

there are some extraordinary examples online, however:

http://resumes.yahoo.com/reedarlen/idothebossjob

that is my new favorite. i plan on re-writing my resume in its exact style and
spirit very soon. here is to wishing we could all be Rick Reeds...

drm

--
my emails have nothing to do with any damn company or entity, or whether i work
there or not. they are literary creations solely owned and copyrighted by me.