internetworkers - Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:05:56 -0500

on Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 12:22:08AM -0000, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> The issue isn't how to do it, since its already implemented. The issue I
> need feedback on, is a product aimed at helping web designers
> measure and increase web site performance something only a half
> dozen people in the world would want, or is this something many web
> developers couldn't live without?

My guess is that most Web designers are happy with the tools they
have, as have been described here as being part of Dreamweaver,
Homesite, or various other online services, such as

http://websitegarage.netscape.com

The pros already know how long it'll take a page to download, more or
less, based either on their tools or on their sense of how heavy a
page is from having created it in the first place. But the more
important, and oft-neglected, characteristic of any Web page is how
quickly it is /rendered/ by the browser. Try viewing a page with
six-deep nested tables, the innermost table containing a big image, in
NS4 if you're wondering what I'm talking about.

If you could write a tool that could provide the download time/page
weight functionality common to other tools while at the same time
providing some sort of useful estimate of rendering time as a function
of how fast the various page components would load over different
connection speeds, I think that'd be really useful.

Feel free to join my list (1700+ strong) and ask whether there'd be any
interest in either the tool you're proposing or my blue-sky proposal
above. Here's the list info:

http://webdesign-l.com

You might also want to ask the kind folks over at evolt.org:

http://evolt.org

That'd give you a more focused sample of Web designers.

Good luck,
Steve