internetworkers - Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <david AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:25:30 -0400

There are a number of products that will "do the math" and calculate based
upon the size of the HTML page and linked images how long the page would
take to load at a given bandwidth.

This comes from the BBEdit "Document Size" command:

Document Size Profile

File: anvil01:SASi:site_mirror_2001:index.html

Text: 6.22 K (20%)
Graphics: 24.87 K (80%)
Total: 31.09 K

Estimated Download Time:

14.4k Modem: 22 seconds
28.8k Modem: 11 seconds
33.6k Modem: 9 seconds
53k Modem: 6 seconds
56k Modem: 6 seconds
128k ISDN Line: 2 seconds
T1 Line: 0 seconds

I have not seen one that does one visually and shows you what is happening.
This would be even more useful for simulating pages with streaming
multimedia content.

David