internetworkers - Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Web Page Design Tool Concept
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:38:08 -0400

Seems like you'd have to something at the packet level on
the client side, right?

Maybe a tcp/ip driver that catches the packets, queues them
and the releases them at the right intervals to mimic the
slower network speed? I'm thinking of something that you
could attach any web browser (or web browser plug-in) to...

I'm also making the assumption that the only variable that
modems introduce in to the equation is speed. I'm sure that
there are some other nuances caused by the translation from
digital to analog to digital.

InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> begin quotation from Michael S Czeiszperger [on 011023 13:01]::

> I've had a couple of requests from web designers for a "modem simulator"
> for
> the lack of a better term, and I wanted to get some feedback from web
> designers on the list.

Heres some overkill solutions, I haven't seen/used anything on the client
side, but I know how to slow down an apache server - mod_throttle
(http://www.snert.com/Software/mod_throttle/) or you can slow down an
interface within the Linux kernel using traffic shaping.
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/index.html)

I would guess that there is a much simpler client side implementation for
what you are trying to do, but I don't what it would be. Quick and dirty
would be to calculate the size of the page and its related components, and
then calculate how long it would take to download all of that at different
bit-rates. I thought I had seen a tool like that in DreamWeaver, but that
was a while ago.

Peace

john

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: mdthomas AT mindspring.com