internetworkers - Re: where to buy a pc for home use

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: where to buy a pc for home use
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:54:59 -0500

I would second both Steven's StayOnline and the Intrex suggestions by
others, but I don't know that it matters where you purchase. I would not
build your own unless you are very familiar with PCs. I am a PC geek
(reformed) and I would probably not build my own unless I wanted
something very specific in it since the savings wouldn't be worth it.
Frankly, I don't think price should be an issue since this is a very
competitive area. Dell and Gateway are my preferred vendors for servers
and PCs respectively at the office. I have a series of Dell servers, a
Dell laptop for my personal machine, a Gateway test server in my office,
and a whole bunch of Dell and Gateway office machines.
What are your requirements? You want a basic home computer? Do you want
a laptop or desktop (or both)? You want to do basic office applications
like word processing, spreadsheets, email, web surfing? You want to do
any more serious graphic applications? You want to have a home network
with a server? Lots of questions about your requirements for the system.

Basic PC: Keep checking the weekly special deals at Dell and Gateway.
You really can get some decent stuff at a good price and fairly good
support. I would suggest something like these might fill your needs:

$1,200 http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special64.htm
$1,500 http://www.gw2k.com/consumer/expressguide/dealoftheweek.shtml

Minimums:
600+mHz Pentium III minimum
128+mb RAM (256mb if heavy graphics)
10+gb of disk space (usually 18gb plus)
8+mb video adapter (current 32mb shipping)
CD drive and 1.4mb floppy
High quality monitor 17-19" (bigger is not always better)
56bps modem (or high bandwidth)
PCI slots should be available for upgrading later
USB port support (almost all have this now)
High quality printer (for output of your office apps)

OS:
Windows 2000 Professional
(you will be glad you didn't get a DOS based Windows)

UPS (this can really be handy at homes with weird power issues)
Laser printer (if you serious about word processing)
CD-RW drive (I don't know how Nileen got along without it)
Scanner (everyone wants to do graphics now)
Good tape drive (if you are anal about backup)

Good luck. Roger (in RTP)