internetworkers - Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:00:15 -0400

I'm of several minds about this issue - and have been for some time.

There's a strong social aspect behind having gone through the college
experience - from living on pizza and ramen to cramming all night, etc... It
also helps bridge that uncomfortable pause in conversation when someone asks
what school you went to. My personal experiences in IT lead me to believe
that this kind of peer identification is important in establishing trust
amongst co-workers.

On the other hand, few of the people I've worked with have had a degree
in the Computer Science field. What I have seen is a wonderfully diverse
collection of disciplines - everything from a voice major/sysadmin to an
entomology/project manager. Most folks were exposed to IT during school,
liked it, and just started doing it (sometimes to pay for tuition). This
leads me to the conclusion that the only lessons contained in *most* 4-year
degree programs that are of value are:
- developing the ability to hustle the $$$ to get through school
- learning to keep the fun and games at a reasonable level
- learn how to write the papers the instructor wants
- learn what you really want to do

The desire to learn, create, and push your limits is developed by so
many factors other than school. If you want to pursue these things in a
college environment, that's cool, but the real-world elements - team skills,
critical thinking, etc.. can also be learned outside the Ivory Towers, a
fact that many 'educated' people often forget.

Overall, I'd say college is the probably the safest way to go about
things, if you have the option (I didn't). I did my 'life skills' learning
in the Army - and picked up at least one skill they don't teach you in
college - getting up early. ;-)

Joe K