internetworkers - Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:45:35 -0400

IMHO, +everyone+ would benefit from a 4-year degree program. Not only do
such students get discipline and exposure to "new" or foreign ideas,
they also are forced to stretch their minds in different directions,
thereby learning mental flexibility. Tech ed gives the student the
know-how to use a particular set of tools to achieve a particular type
of goal or solving specific types of problems. However, a wider
education lets them map an approach to a goal from a number of different
directions, as well as apply specialized tools to problems that may at
first seem unrelated....

Greg Cox wrote:

> > As the day-to-day work of IT professionals becomes more specialized,
> > the lessons from a four-year college education become less relevant.
>
> Let me make sure I get it: They want to take maladjusted teenage geeks,
> give them more money than they've ever seen, and deprive them of the 4
> years where they're most likely to make new friends and get laid?
>
> If college were simply about education, I don't think anyone would go.
> I don't necessarily think that having/not having the slip of paper ought
> be a litmus test for a job application, but I do know that the techs I
> have run into who completely bypassed college have had deficiencies that,
> IMO, could probably have been helped by being in a little more structured
> environment. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a little peeved at the 18-y.o.
> webhead who I'm having to cleanup after, since he had no idea how to
> structure/manage the server side of his pretty pages.

<snip>

--
"B"ing mobile