internetworkers - Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:24:01 -0400 (EDT)

> As the day-to-day work of IT professionals becomes more specialized,
> the lessons from a four-year college education become less relevant.

Let me make sure I get it: They want to take maladjusted teenage geeks,
give them more money than they've ever seen, and deprive them of the 4
years where they're most likely to make new friends and get laid?

If college were simply about education, I don't think anyone would go.
I don't necessarily think that having/not having the slip of paper ought
be a litmus test for a job application, but I do know that the techs I
have run into who completely bypassed college have had deficiencies that,
IMO, could probably have been helped by being in a little more structured
environment. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a little peeved at the 18-y.o.
webhead who I'm having to cleanup after, since he had no idea how to
structure/manage the server side of his pretty pages.