internetworkers - Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperfcenter.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Do IT workers need 4 year degrees?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:22:25 -0400

"saundrakaerubel.com" wrote:

> Sound off on this discussion at cio.com and read what others have written
> on this topic
>
> As the day-to-day work of IT professionals
> becomes more specialized, the lessons from a four-year
> college education become less relevant. Do IT
> professionals really need four-year college degrees?
> http://comment.cio.com/sound.cfm?ID=64

I think it depends on what you're doing. If you will excuse the rough
analogy, the general
field of IT can be compared to the general field of construction. Most
outside observers
(and some inside ones) lack a sense of scale, confusing a role similar to
that of
designing a backyard deck to that of designing (and building) a skyscraper.
You don't need
a four year degree to design and build a deck, but you might want someone who
has at least
a four year degree and some experience to build a skyscraper.

Michael Czeiszperger

begin:vcard
n:Czeiszperger;Michael
tel;cell:919-696-7818
tel;fax:919-785-0562
tel;work:919-785-2998
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.webperfcenter.com
org:Web Performance Inc
adr:;;PO Box 14753	;Research Triangle Park;NC;27709-4753;
version:2.1
email;internet:czei AT webperfcenter.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;10816
fn:Michael Czeiszperger
end:vcard