homestead - [Homestead] Training a heifer to milk

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Training a heifer to milk
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:51:32 -0400

That's what I'm up to. two newly freshened heifers. One is probably
going to be a nurse cow, cause she's not got the teats for easy hand
milking. The other one is easy to milk and behaves a lot better, too!
Now for the one that is not behaving, I can hold her tail up if she is
real ornery with the calves and that stops her from kicking. Any other
tips?

I read one thing online about tying up one of her front legs off the
ground and that way she can't kick or she'd fall down.

Rob - Va