homestead - Re: [Homestead] Torture investigations

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Torture investigations
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:49:14 -0800

Reputation stained? Nope, we are a laughing stock! This whole circus that the DC Whorehouse is running is no different than the whole Monica thing. Other countries are shaking their heads and wondering why the heck anyone with one little tiny microscopic bit of sense would do such a thing. And the "thing" is not the torture, it is the circus of investigating them. No country in the world would do that to their own. They'll scream about some other country --- blah, blah, blah the KGB, blah, blah, blah the Mossa, blah, blah, blah the MI5. You sure won't see Russia or Israel or England tearing their companies to pieces.

The U.S. and Teflon are STUPID!

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

I remember that a few months ago, like in May?, President Obama stated
that he did not want to look back, only forward, and that he would not
investigate the torture allegations due to the fact that it would put
troops in harm's way. I respected that decision, and it made me think
that perhaps I'd been wrong about the guy, that maybe he truly had risen
above party politics, but alas, no, it appears not.
Something tells me that he may have made the 'no more torture' speech to
the CIA and they did not want to play the game. As punishment, the CIA
will now be investigated. Maybe I look at this all wrong, but to me,
this is just a political torture technique designed not to get at the
truth, because we all know that the CIA did in fact torture people, but
to embarrass and discredit the organization as well as the former
administration. (I think the latter comes as icing on the cake, not the
primary target, but provides nice collateral damage to appease those
like Pelosi in the party.) The losers are those men and women who have
volunteered out of a sense of duty to serve their country. The winners
are those in the world who despise the United States. I think we have
weakened our country and given the enemy ammunition to use against us.
I certainly don't think that President Obama gains anything here as I am
reminded of the saying that if you wrestle with pigs....well, you know.
I certainly am not defending the CIA or the former administrations
actions or policy, I do believe there should have been an investigation
and leadership shakeups, however, I think it should have been done
quietly and out of the public eye, just like the torture itself. The
image of the United States is already stained-we don't need to add
additional dirty laundry to the pile..
The way things are shaking out, the CIA is being castrated, and power is
being given to the even more secretive National Security Council(IMO,
they have a longer history of torture) and a new division for
interrogation is under direct White House control. This HIG program is
practically a black (covert ops kind of black) program because it's
leadership is vague-no one is sure how the FBI or the NSC exactly
figures into the equation. The top of the chain, however, is the Oval
Office, yet another example of power usurped from one agency or branch
and reallocated to the executive branch. It is a method of centralizing
power in the administration, something that is very scary to me.