homestead - Re: [Homestead] Torture investigations

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Torture investigations
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:39:46 -0400

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/28/mallory-factor-terrorist-camp-cropper/

This is an opinion piece, so take that for what it is worth, but I am
appalled that we give terrorist prisoners medical and dental treatment,
yet so many in our own country suffer. If we are still torturing prisoners, I know it wouldn't be happening in a place like this, but still...

The rights given to detainees at our Baghdad detention facility are
specific, extensive and clearly spelled out to the detainees
themselves. Detainees receive a medical exam before every
interrogation and another when it is finished. There is an officer
present for each interrogation and observers watch through a two-way
mirror. All interrogations are recorded and reviewed. Camp Cropper
reminds me of a community college, with the detainees able to take
English lessons, receive job training, and engage in sports and
games. Cell blocks elect their leaders -- kind of like student
government. Detainees are even entitled to receive cigarettes after
every meal. Some might call that torture, of a kind -- and you can't
do that in America!

And as Congress debates universal health care, the detainees in Iraq
receive medical care that would be the envy of most of the world --
and the uninsured in America. The detainees receive the same medical
care that our troops receive, including dental and vision care, all
free and on demand. In fact, the doctors, treatments, and high-tech
equipment are the same for our soldiers and for suspected terrorists.
That's unprecedented in wartime -- and America is still at war.

Many detainees from poor backgrounds have never had access to medical
or dental care in their lives. Some families have even asked our
military to keep holding their sons until they can complete their
free medical and dental treatments.

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed