homestead - Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:03:57 -0500

That too is why I favor
Japanese saws, the teeth are backwards and cut on the pull stroke.

One big advantage of the pull type saw is that the blade can be made much smaller. The very thin blade of the Japanese saws leaves a very fine kerf and cut down the center of the line. The thin blade is both more difficult to control and gives more control. It is easier to adjust as you go along but you must maintain control. I like the Japanese saws.

Also Japanese planes work on the pull. I have never tried one but would like to. I get a catalog from a Japanese tool importer in Berkeley, CA. Nice tools but a bit pricey.

Don Bowen KI6DIU