homestead - Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:03:45 -0500

On Jun 30, 2008, at 10:09 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

It's the small wheels and four of them that I see as the weakness in the
system. A wheelbarrow is an effective second class lever with the wheel being the
fulcurm. You are concentrating the downward vector balanced on one wheel.
But a four-wheeled cart amplifies the irregualarity of the ground.

All that has been said is true. There is another positive factor to the four-wheeled design, and that is stability. One stops to load or unload and the cart does not tip. The two-wheeled garden carts have the stabilizer tubing under the handle to do this.

I like the fold-down sides. And I have thought of a simple design to quickly convert the handle to a pull-tongue behind my garden tractor or the golf cart. The prime negative is the small size of the wheels, if used on rough ground.

Of course here in the Ozarks everything is plumb, square and level.