homestead - Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:58:37 -0400

On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:

On Jul 1, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:

Most (solid) stone is about 3000 pounds per cubic yard....

So, Roy, you still trust your memory, eh?

Only moderately. As I said, it was nearly 30 years ago now that I studied soil mechanics. And at that, it was mostly clay situations, not rock. 'Fact is, if you have rock to build on, you hire someone from Northeastern. If you have clay, you get the very best engineer you can find. Such as the MIT professors I took classes from. (Granted, they were relatively elementary classes.)

The Corps of Engineers had what they called DM-4 (Design Manual number 4), which covered in succinct fashion, most every soil mechanics, foundation, bridge, and dam situation you'd likely encounter. My copy is packed in storage.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180