homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog -

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog -
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:24:21 -0800 (PST)

We heated the water in the lard kettle. This was a
cast iron pot, larger than a kettle drum. The water
was put into the barrel with buckets.
We had a lift on the 3 point tractor hitch. We took a
singletree from an old harness, hooked the ends into
the hogs hind legs by the tendons. Then were able to
lower and raise the hog into the scalding water.
One of the jobs that us younguns got to do was cut
lard into 2" cubes which where cooked in the kettle
with a fire under it. When well cooked the chunks of
lard were put into a press, and the rest of the oil
pressed out.
During the rest of the year my grandmother used the
kettle for heating wash water.
Van Dell