homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butchering a hog - was Wood for Smoking Meats
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:33:19 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:

My Salvadoran in-laws were here, so we did it Salvadoran style.
snip
They cut up the meat right away and that worked better since the temps
were not with us. It was only in the mid 40s that night and in the 60s
the next day. I'd have canceled and done another time, but all the
help was here and we wanted pig for Christmas.

In lieu of trying to dip the hg in an old bathtup of water, we just
splashed buckets of scalding water on the part we were scraping. Next
time, I'll rig something up to dip the hog.

Left the big pieces out on a table overnight to cool, I'd have
preferred hanging, but got out voted. El Salvador is warm, so you cut
the pig up fast, no hanging.
snip
. Just cured a side of
bacon and a skinless shoulder on this hog.

Awesome Rob..I know that was work. I snipped your post to show why I was confused as to whether you skinned or scraped the hog...was part of it scraped and part of it skinned?
When did you get the pair, and how big were they when you got them?
We raise hogs through the winter months..it keeps the smell down and they till up the garden area for me as I move their pen around. We usually get them in August/September, and kill them March/April. We haven't been brave enough to do it at home, mostly because we don't have the help. I do have a couple of neighbors with experience, though, and now I have some Mexican friends from work who also have experience, so next time I really would like to do it myself so we might just try a summer raising.
A guy I know uses a trailer, like a large landscape type trailer, as a pig pen. He's modified it, of course, but he can move it around and clean it off easily. The pigs never touch the ground, and I have mixed feelings about that after seeing how much they love to dig and how healthy it is for them to do so, but it works for him.
Another guy I know just keeps them on the edge of the woods with electric fencing, and yet another guy raised them on a wooden deck. We used a moveable pen made of 4 hog panels. How did you contain your piggies?

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.