homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water

  • From: "Mogrits" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:12:11 -0500

> I think the power line leading to Heartwood has a squirrel with a
> perilous morning routine. Most mornings between nine and ten the

Power to our community follows the challenging two lane highway leading here
from town. A car leaves the highway about once a week taking the power with
it for three or four hours. Working from home this week has made it more of
a problem than coming home to blinking clocks.

> Neighbors drove down to the
> stream to haul water to flush their toilets rather than use
> alternative methods. Nothing funnier than people.

Soon my wife and I will move a quarter mile into the old family homeplace,
built in 1825. My granddad didn't add a bathroom with flush toilet until the
late 1940's. Sometime in the late '70's my grandmother had both the log
smokehouse and the outhouse (with concrete seat) torn down in a fit of "yard
cleaning". She was truly embarassed to have an outhouse in her backyard,
even though it was located a tasteful (and sanitary) distance away and was
obscured by landscaping. I guess one of my projects will be to rebuild both
those structures.

The well there is shallow, and when the water wasn't bitter it was muddy.
This drought finally took it out completely. Municipal water is available
because the house sits on a highway. Tap fees, backflow device and water
line installation several hundred feet to the house will likely cost as much
as drilling a new, deep well. So this is a decision I have upcoming.

Warren
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:08 PM