homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:28:02 +0000

Our water is the greatest thing about our property here. Our water source is
2 springs, the main one being 300' higher than the house on the mountain
behind us. The other is about 200' higher than the house. We have the lower
one piped over to my parent's camper and the higher one piped down to our
house. Mom and Dad have a 500 gallon storage tank and we have a 1500 gallon
storage tank, which stays overflowing during winter and spring and about half
full during the dry months. We have to conserve during the dry months, but
it's very manageable for a family of 5 and we've never run out of water
unless someone leaves the hose on outside. As for pressure, it's ~90 lbs at
the house, so we have a step-down regulator at the point where it enters the
house. We have a faucet before the regulator so we can use it like a pressure
washer, but it will pop regular hoses if you leave it on with the nozzle shut
off.

There's a third spring on the mountain as well that our neighbor's have piped
over to their house about 1/2 mile away and they have decent water pressure,
too.

If the power goes out, at least we will still have indoor plumbing. We have
to leave a drip running and I have heat tape on the exposed pipes during hard
freezes. Thank goodness the water is plentiful during cold weather, so I
don't have to worry about the drip running the tank dry.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com