homestead - Re: [Homestead] plant ID

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] plant ID
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:54:59 -0800

A type of mallow? The natives around Humboldt County are soft fuzzy things but varigated. Lovely lavendar flowers. The mallows come in all sizes and shapes and colors of both flower and leaf.

If you are talking about what I call Butterfly Weed, Asclepias tuberosa,
then no, it's not that.
My digital camera is broken or I would take a picture of it.
The leaves of this plant look just like lambs ears (Stachys byzantina)
light gray, fuzzy, soft. The plant has a basal rosette like mullein,
and 2 foot tall thick, wooly stalk with multiple buds on the sides, and
the flowers are 1 inch in diameter and so hot pink that from a distance
they look red. It is not orangey at all.