homestead - Re: [Homestead] plant ID

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] plant ID
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:07:01 -0500

Here is a pic of a red campion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campion

Wendy

Bev,

Is it one of the campions? Do they have a bladder-like bulge at the base of
the flower?

Wendy

If you are talking about what I call Butterfly Weed, Asclepias tuberosa,
then no, it's not that.
My digital camera is broken or I would take a picture of it.
The leaves of this plant look just like lambs ears (Stachys byzantina)
light gray, fuzzy, soft. The plant has a basal rosette like mullein,
and 2 foot tall thick, wooly stalk with multiple buds on the sides, and
the flowers are 1 inch in diameter and so hot pink that from a distance
they look red. It is not orangey at all.

Bev

clhw wrote:
Bev -- google "butterfly plant" unless you know that's not it.
It should be in bloom about now, and sounds somewhat like what you
describe.
I don't remember the botanical name. It grows wild all over our area of
the
country and reseeds itself, but doesn't grow in groups, just a plant here
and there.
Lynn

Plant identification..
Isn't there a website somewhere that allows you to put in various
criteria about plants like number of lobes, color of flowers, bloom
time, etc. that allows you to search to help identify something?
I'm pretty sure I have used this database before, but can't find the
bookmark or remember the site.
Also, is there a website where you can look at photos and sort by flower
color?
I was walking down the road today and saw a plant I've never seen
before...The leaves are fuzzy, like mullein or lambs ears, but the
flower is almost chickory like and hot pink in color. It was on the
roadside, so it must be fairly common-I guess I have never noticed it
before flying by at 35 mph..

Bev

Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/crazygardens%40verizon.net