homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dax

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dax
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:23:04 -0400

Morning Gene,
Sorry to hear about Dax. I really liked him and I know he's been a
great companion and loyal servant to you. When Dax goes, I don't think
you should or even could hide it from Benny. Benny probably
knew/smelled something wrong before you knew it. I think you should let
him see the body so he gets that confirmation. When you bury Dax, you
might do what I did with Bandit, Hector, and Scotty. I dug the hole
about two feet deep(didn't want to get down into the hardpan clay where
worms are few) and placed them down in the hole. I sprinkled lime over
them, then started filling in the hole. Near the surface, I took a 3x3
sheet of thin plywood and laid it over the hole. (Scotty's plywood was
smaller because he was a little guy) I then covered the plywood with
another inch or so of soil, and then topped off the graves with a few
large rocks. None of my other dogs have ever tried to dig the graves,
but when Bandit died, Bear did go over and smell and sit by the stones.
It kind of freaked me out. Bear has a strong sense of smell and is a
proficient digger, but he seemed to know what was going on.
I empathize with what you will have to do to see this through. You're
in my thoughts..

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

X-rays yesterday showed why Dax's limp has become so bad. He has cancer in his left shoulder. I couldn't see the x-rays real good because my eyes were pretty wet but I could see them enough to know he won't be with us for long. Got some pain pills and we will enjoy him as long as he seems to want to be here. Then he will receive his
final injection and we will bury him up under the dogwoods where I will one day be planted. Not sure how Benny should be involved. If Dax just disappears one day he will wonder what happened to his buddy. If we let him see the body, what will he think? If he sees us
burying Dax, what will he do? They have been like brothers since we
brought them home ten and a half years ago.