homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very, very quiet

  • From: abitcrazy <abitcrazy AT cox.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very, very quiet
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:27:01 -0700

hi folks. I am a newbie on this list. I see things that are happening, and am preparing for the worst! : ) I also bought some land in New Mexico, and am at that age where thinking about chucking it all and becoming a hermit sounds better and better. Now, my question is this: how do you make the peach (or apple, or dandelion, or anything else) wine? My grandpa used to make dandelion wine, but alas, that information has departed with him, and I don't know how.

arlene in arizona

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

A friend of mine made peach wine last summer with 10# of peaches

Sounds good. And there's the possiblilty of peach melomel if there's enough honey this year (and peaches). But I did neglect to mention that there is another traditional way of preserving peaches here abouts. To the casual observer it looks just like jars of canned peaches (which is the idea) but .... the juice! I think of Tvo every time I pass those jars in the basement.

Is that like a rumpot? I've heard that you can preserve fruits with liquor and sugar, and keep adding to it all summer long.

Bill