homestead - [Homestead] Peach trees

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Peach trees
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:53:30 -0700

I forgot to mention my experience with beating the late frosts that are so common in the Ozarks. One winter I pruned a semi-dwarf peach tree down to a square about five feet across and maybe eight feet high. As soon as I saw buds beginning to appear I tented the tree with heavy, clear plastic, down to a foot or two above the ground. Tied the corners to weights. On nights when frost was forecast I half-filled the ash bucket with ashes and coals from the barrel stove, lots of ashes for insulation, and placed the bucket under the tent. The supplemental heat saved the buds from late frosts but caused the tree to really wake up fast, to the point where it was nearly leafed out while the other peach trees were still mostly naked. Alas, I beat the late frosts but brown rot did the fruits in when they were about three-quarters developed.

I believe one could save any tree from late frosts by doing the same thing. No supplemental heat needed. Just make the plastic extend to the ground and anchor it. Ground heat should be sufficient. Sort of a portable greenhouse. Tenthouse? To ensure pollination I would lift at least the lower parts of the plastic during the day. Pin it up with clothes pins.

  • [Homestead] Peach trees, Gene GeRue, 03/08/2006