freetds - Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steven Peterson <speterson AT listpilot.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:11:21 -0400

James,

Yours would be my solution if I controlled all of the computers in the
network. But the fact is that the computers I am trying to connect to are
clients' computers for which I am reluctant to ask to change their
firewall. (There are many clients and each has a different procedure for
requesting changes.) The computers I am connecting from use virtual IPs so
that the computers are easy to move around and upgrade without changing the
source IP (theoretically). Simply changing the bind address works in all
my other database connections except for FreeTDS. It is by far easier for
me to use a portable virtual IP address and specify it in a bind address
than contacting each client and getting them to update their firewall rules
whenever I upgrade or change my server configuration. Please consider this
a use case supporting a bind address parameter.

That being said, FreeTDS is an awesome package and I don't know what I
would do without it; thanks for all the work you do on it.

- Steve