freetds - Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steven Peterson <speterson AT listpilot.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:19:44 -0400

I have exactly the same issue and am looking for a solution. It is quite
common to have a linux server with multiple IP addresses and only one of
the IPs whitelisted by an external database server. Many database drivers
and linux utilities provide the capability to specify the bindAddress,
which is the IP address from which the request is sent.

That being said, what strategies for working around this have people found
work best? 'ip route'? 'iptables'? Something easier?

- Steve Peterson

Hello, I'm using FreeTDS to connect to a MS SQL Server. This worked fine on
the development host, because only the one single IP address of it had to
be whitelisted in the firewall of the MS SQL Server. But on the production
server, several aliased network interfaces with different IP addresses are
set up and the web application is obviously not connecting through the main
interface, which is already whitelisted. How can I set the local ip address
/ interface that FreeTDS connects from to the remote database host?

Kind regards
Marten Lehmann