freetds - Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:03:03 -0400

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:19:44 -0400
Steven Peterson <speterson AT listpilot.com> wrote:

> It is quite common to have a linux server with multiple IP addresses
> and only one of the IPs whitelisted by an external database server.

If you say so.

Why not fix the network/whitelist/firewall? A rational organization
avoids work instead of creating it.

I see no reason to have a firewall between a TDS server and client,
even if that client is a webserver. I see still less reason to block
legitimate packets from known interfaces. Not only is extra admin work
created, but the efficiency of the network is reduced.

If the reason is "security" then the answer should explain the specific
threat, and why ordinary routing rules are insufficient.