freetds - Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:32:34 -0400

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:56:14 +0000
Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org> wrote:

> (1) Set my MANPATH so now I can find the man pages for bsqlodbc.

Hurrah!

> (2) Ran bsqlodbc and get the following:
>
> user #> bsqlodbc -U dba -P sql -S txeis -D DB246111 -i input.sql -o
> output.sql -e error.sql
>
> Input file input.sql contents: select * from sr_stu_demo;
> Output file output.sql contents: <empty>
> Error file error.sql contents: bsqlodbc: error: 100 is an
> unknown return code for SQLExecute

As I suspected, a missing error message. But why?

The number 100 has some significance but shouldn't show up in this
context. The TDS library can return error 100 to indicate iconv is not
supported for TDS protocol version 7.3, but you're using TDS 5.0 and
the error's being returned from SQLExecute, not SQLConnect.

I'm afraid all I can suggest is to use TDSDUMP with the above command
and, and lets have another look at the output. The log will show a lot
of the call stack. It might yield a clue of where to look.

You have found a bug, by definition. I think there's something funny
in your configuration, something you'll easily be able to fix. The bug
is that you shouldn't be able to get the system to produce that
message, no matter what you do. So I am interested in how it
happened.