freetds - Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:54:02 -0400

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:20:09 +0000
Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org> wrote:

> I tried 'bsqlodbc' and it just hangs....

It doesn't "just" hang. :-) Dimes to donuts it's waiting for the
server. TDSDUMP will show the status.

One possibility is that your query runs a long time, and that isql uses
a shorter query timeout than bsqlodbc does. That would be consistent
with you seeing an active connection in admin tools, and with being
able to retrieve metadata.

If the same query runs quickly using bsqldb, it could be an
indication that connection properties are altering the behavior of the
query, or that the ODBC driver is somehow altering the SQL text.

> I unfortunately get no results from 'man bsqldb' or man bsqlodbc'
> from my Linux system.

You will find the file bsqlodbc.1 in your FreeTDS build tree. By
running "make install", it is copied to $PREFIX/share/man/man1. PREFIX
is defined in the configure script; the default is /usr/local.

If you have run "make install" and "man bsqlodbc" fails to find the
page, it's because man(1) isn't looking at the directory where it was
installed. IOW your system is misconfigured! "man man" should display
the man utility's manual, which explains how & where man pages are
searched. GNU man has a -w option that reports the search path, and a
-l option to read uninstalled files.

HTH.