freetds - Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:36:34 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of James K. Lowden
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 3:54 PM
To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:20:09 +0000
Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org> wrote:

>> I tried 'bsqlodbc' and it just hangs....

>It doesn't "just" hang. :-) Dimes to donuts it's waiting for the server.
>TDSDUMP will show the status.
I like that!! :-) Dimes to donuts.
Anyway, I tried a SELECT that returns 1 row, 1 column and it still fails with
SQL RowCount -1. I have been told by the unixODBC group -1 from a
SQLRowCount is entirely ok and it just means that the driver does not know
how many rows are in the result set which is common with forward only cursors.

>One possibility is that your query runs a long time, and that isql uses a
>shorter query timeout than bsqlodbc does. That would be consistent with you
>seeing an active connection in admin tools, and with being able to >retrieve
>metadata.

>If the same query runs quickly using bsqldb, it could be an indication that
>connection properties are altering the behavior of the query, or that the
>ODBC driver is somehow altering the SQL text.

>> I unfortunately get no results from 'man bsqldb' or man bsqlodbc'
>> from my Linux system.

>You will find the file bsqlodbc.1 in your FreeTDS build tree. By running
>"make install", it is copied to $PREFIX/share/man/man1. PREFIX is defined
>in the configure script; the default is /usr/local.

>If you have run "make install" and "man bsqlodbc" fails to find the page,
>it's because man(1) isn't looking at the directory where it was installed.
>IOW your system is misconfigured! "man man" should display the man
>>utility's manual, which explains how & where man pages are searched. GNU
>man has a -w option that reports the search path, and a -l option to read
>uninstalled files.

I did find bsqlodbc1 but not in my build tree. Should I reinstall? How does
one uninstall? And why does 'tsql' work just fine?
Thanks for your help.