freetds - Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] osql and isql -- how to test ODBC config?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 03:55:16 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of James K. Lowden
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:23 AM
To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:35:03 +0000
Tony Esposito <Tony.Esposito AT region10.org> wrote:

>>(1) tsql connects and returns data fine.
>> (2) fisql connects and returns data fine.
>>
>> So it appears the FreeTDS client is setup correctly but...
>One cannot generalize from tsql to odbc because ODBC requires additional
>setup. "tsql servername" and "isql servername" may use different servers and
>even different copies of FreeTDS.

>> isql connects yet returns no data when doing a SELECT (see error
>> below):
>>
>> isql -v txeis dba sql
>> +---------------------------------------+
>> | Connected! |
>> | |
>> | sql-statement |
>> | help [tablename] |
>> | quit |
>> | |
>> +---------------------------------------+
>> SQL> select * from rsccc.sr_stu_demo
>> SQLRowCount returns -1
>> SQL>
>>
>>Yet isql will return system table information via the 'help' command
>> (see SQL below):
>
>No, the reply you quoted showed column headers only, no data.
>
>> Please advise.
>
>Your freetds.conf and odbc.ini look correct to me. I think isql is
>swallowing an error from the server. I would try the same query using
>bsqldb using TDSDUMP viz:
>
> $ TDSDUMP=stdout bsqldb -S txeis -U dba -P sql

Tried the following from the Linux shell prompt: bsqldb -S txeis -U dba -P
sql
And got the following error message:
bsqldb: Msg 20012, Level 2
Server name not found in configuration files

bsqldb: Msg 20013, Level 2
Unknown host machine name

>HTH.
>
>--jkl
>
>P.S. Please don't top-post. Inline replies such as I have used here make
>the thread of the conversation easier for others to follow.

Please advise ... I am not familiar with 'bsqldb'. Can I just run it from
bash shell prompt?
Thank you for your time and effort. :-)

Tony Esposito
ETL Developer