freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Peter C. Norton" <spacey-freetds.org AT ssr.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:23:58 -0500

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:12:51AM +0100, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> > The current version of osql does indeed parse ldd output if
> > strings(1) fails to find any candidates. I'm interested in
> > improving the script to deal with any environments to which I
> > don't have access. It's a sort of on-going experiment in
> > whether or not a simple bourne shell script can identify all
> > odbc configuration problems.
>
> how would I be helped in my issue, having troubles connecting to MSSQL
> from Debian Sid?
>
> I'm available to "experiment" with you, as long as it doesn't get *too
> complicated* :-)

Flavio,

We're discussing dynamic linker issues, and it's really a tangent to
your issue. Let's start with basics:

1) If you can connect from unix via ODBC, you don't actually need ODBC
on the unix side because the ODBC driver is actually going to use the
FreeTDS layer underneath

2) Since FreeTDS is what you really want to test, try using tsql to
connect to your database first.

3) If this works, see if you can work with the freetds-specific
drivers first (e.g. perl/php/python etc. FreeTDS modules).

To test connectivity, first try:

and see if that works. If it does, and if you want to, you can
continue to work on ODBC.

-Peter